Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Getting Change, WANTED: Sprite, and House Cleaning...

Hebrews 12:1-2

New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.   

      Trying to get change can turn into a pretty adventurous day in Haiti.  Most of the time the local vendors around here will not have the right amount of change. And it is quite amusing to watch all the vendors scramble together just to give you back change. Or they will just flat out say " No change ". Which happens....a lot :).  I end up having to find different ways of getting smaller bills for the day. So I took three of the workers and we went to the grocery store. I told each one of them to go and buy the cheapest thing they could find.  Things we needed of course :). By the time they were finished we ended up with post-it notes , ramen noodles(chicken flavored) , two cloves of garlic, cookies and plenty of change!                                                                                                                                                     
    I have been craving for Sprite for the last two weeks now! Not just any Sprite though, Sprite in bottles. I already have the empty bottles and you can just take the empty ones and exchange them for new full ones at a cheaper price. But I can not find any place to exchange them! Im beginning to think Sprite isn't as popular down here. But I will still keep my eyes peeled for the stuff!      
          
   I spent the rest of the day with Evelyn and Lois.They are two very hard working, sweet older ladies that live close to the Mission House They do a lot of the cooking, washing, and cleaning when groups come down to visit. So today we did a lot of house cleaning in preparation of the group that is coming down this Saturday. While watching Evelyn and Lois clean the house today, I never realized how much work goes into cleaning a whole house! I couldn't help but think of my mom at home and how hard she works everyday! Miss you mom! 
     Then they even made a yummy lunch for me! Which consisted of Pikliz ( One of my favorite dishes!), rice and beans, fried plantains and french fries. Of course I made them stay and eat with me which they really enjoyed. It ended up being a great time of fellowship. While we were eating Florine, Lois' daughter stopped by just to talk us. All of us ended up reading Psalms 91 together and Florine felt God wanted her to pray over the whole Mission House. She has an amazing passion for God. A passion you could feel as she was praying. She says she really wants to start a ministry here but doesn't know what kind yet. Pray that God gives her guidance and the knowledge of what exactly God wants her to be doing because she has a servants heart.Thanks and Thank you for taking the time to read a little bit about me and my life in Haiti! It really means a lot to me! God Bless!! - Vince

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vince,

    enjoyed your blog. HAVE you found your sprite yet? This is mom, I miss you much. Yes, cleaning houses is hard work but I like it because I get to share about Jesus. Sounds like you do also. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Bro its Rob, seen your page looks like your doing big things, keep up the hard work, dont lift to much you might not be able to find a shirt to fit those pythons, cya when you hit the U.S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob its really great hearing from you! I hope you and your family are doing well! We are definitely doing big things down here. Looking to build two more house in April so that should keep me busy. Ive been hitting the gym pretty hard lately. I finally have a good routine now to keep me consistent. I really wanna try to do some sort of cross fit when I get home tho. If your interested let me know! Im down...don;t be a stranger dude. ill talk to ya later

      Delete
  3. Yea dude my workout routine is horrible, we had it down when we were partners, im definetly down to do cross fit but thats stuff is not fun, Maybe ill show you how to use expensive golf clubs the wrong way, but we will definetly pick you up on our softball team, everyone is good Aden just turned one a few weeks ago and he is sprinting around the house, i swear the kid hits his head on everything, but I seen all your pics looks like your having a blast i bet its a ton of laughs, your a better man then me I am way to selfish to spend 6 months away from home, Im sure those guys down there are really appreciative to everyone involved, but the bigger picture is just influencing them to have a relationship with christ by being a servant like all you guys are doing which is great, but hit me up, im gonna hit the sack talk to you later bro

    ReplyDelete